- Live Every Day
- Live Well
- Special Offers
Your list is empty.
Your list is empty.
We are used to seeing people walking around with bottles of water – something that was very unusual just a few years ago - but lots of us still don’t understand just how big an impact hydrating can have on how we feel. We know that athletes need to be well hydrated for good performance but even going to the gym or heading out for a run can be easier when you have been drinking enough water. The brain needs water for good function and being dehydrated can leave us feeling less than our best. We need about 2 litres of water everyday so hydration is a key focus at Centra. Not everyone likes to drink plain water so we also have some low sugar alternatives in store to help. Herbal teas are a great option for drinking more water when you are cold and hydrating can be a good time to pick up some extra vitamins with lots of drink options having added vitmains and minerals.
Did you know over 50% of your body is water? Good hydration is essential in helping us stay at our best. The Department of Health recommends that we need 8-10 glasses of water everyday – this is about 1 ½ to 2 litres of water – and you need more if you are very active and sweat a lot. Being well-hydrated also helps to keep our brains working at their best – and this is no surprise when you hear that 85% of our brains are water. The European Food Safety Authority tells us that drinking two litres of water per day “helps to maintain normal cognitive function” i.e. helps to keep our brains working as they should.
Aim to have 8-10 200ml glasses of water everyday. This is between 1 ½ and 2 litres of water everyday.
Not very pleasant, but checking your pee is one of the best ways to tell if you are well hydrated or not. If your pee is a dark colour then you probably need more water. If it is light coloured or clear then you are probably well-hydrated. Check out our pee-chart below to see how you match up.
Not everyone is good at just drinking gallons of water and if you usually don’t drink any, two litres can look like a lot. Try some of our tips below to help you get started:
- Start by adding one extra glass of water per day. Once you are used to this, you can add another one and gradually get used to the full 8-10 glasses over a few weeks.
- 8-10 glasses sounds like a lot but it is really just one glass an hour over a typical working day.
- Have one glass of water as soon as you get up and get into the habit of drinking a glass with each meal.
- Carry a water bottle with you so you can sip as you go.
- If you struggle with water, try adding fresh mint leaves or a cube of fresh ginger to a cup of boiling water. It is a great way to hydrate, especially in cold weather.
- Add slices of cucumber or a few mint leaves to cold water to add flavour
- Beware of adding cordial or lots of lemon and lime as the acid can be hard on teeth, especially if you are drinking them all day. Plain water is best as you main drink
- Herbal teas like chamomile are another great way to hydrate